» UNIVERSITY PROJECT

Degree Show Branding

THE BRIEF

In 2020 my course (like all others) were forced to move their annual degree shows online. For my class' degree show, we split the work into three parts: marketing, website and branding.
I lead the branding team.

YEAR

2020

CATEGORIES

Branding

MAIN PROGRAMS USED

Illustrator + Photoshop

TEAM MATES

Ellis Paul

Intro

Creating visuals to capture three years of hard work by eleven people wasn't an easy task. I knew from the get go that I wanted a moving or interactive element to the brand - the course isn't called 'Interaction Design' for nothing.
As per tradition, the show was called Reveal but this was the only constraint we had. The challenge was making Reveal 2020 very obviously our class' work.

Concept 1

This concept is inspired by my design hero, Paula Scher. The logo she created for the Public Theatre was a 'typographic representation of New York City'.

This concept used the idea of 'typographic represation' but differed in the sense that it was going to use animated vairable type.

 


Public Theatre Logo via Pentagram

'From the Bay Records' via Thibaud Allie on Dribble

Concept 2


Back in 2017, Emily Oberman (and team) created the identity for a women's social club in New York. Since then I've been fascinated with how animation has been used to create adaptable, fresh and diverse brands.

It occurred to me that animation would be an ideal way to convey the different styles and focuses of the class' work.

The Wing logo via Pentagram

Sketching it out



Since this was a project to represent the class' work, we decided as the branding team to open the concepts for feedback from the whole class. One very official Facebook poll later, we started to move forward with the second concept

Gathering the Artwork


By far the hardest part of the logo design - work from my classmates. I was particulary keen on getting images that showed the complete experience - not just polished and finished work, but sketches, process and photographs.

In the end, we had 34 images to work with. From 3D models, Screenshots, documentation, Group Photos, finished apps, first year work, final projects, photos of card sorting and crazy eights exercises.

 




Typography

The typeface is the frame for the artwork so choosing something big and bold was important in order to allow as much of the artwork to be visible as possible.

We used a personal favourite of mine, Hothouse (available on Adobe Fonts). Its big, chunky and quirky with a bit of a Mackintosh feel.


The Final Piece

With everything in place, I had our wordmark complete and ready to go on our website.